Thursday, March 8, 2012

The power to sync..!

Today I realized the importance of sync. The story goes like this. At work I use both a desktop computer and a laptop. And the time has come to get my laptop completely re-imaged (read formatted) with a new OS. I have loads of data in both though all my mails get downloaded through Outlook only on my desktop. But all the other things are pretty much scattered on both. I will be simply copying  all the stuff I need from my desktop to the laptop or vice-versa with a not-so-brainy idea of a pendrive. But what about my browser data?!



I am a Google fan and I use Google's Chrome browser with loads of Google extensions, apps and plenty of bookmarks. Plus I have my Kindle and my Android powered phone integrated to it too. The prospect of losing all the things that I use on my browser really got me checking up on syncing up my browser data onto the cloud. And guess what, Google Chrome provides just what I wanted with its "sync" support. From the wrench menu, I sync up my browser with whatever I want to sync (including passwords, extensions, apps, bookmarks etc etc) and when I sign into Chrome on any other device, I can get all the stuff there. Just like that! Now that's cool :)



So when I get back my laptop re-imaged, I will have to just download Chrome once again, login to my Google account, and lo and behold, I will be back in action with all the stuff I used before!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I would love to do this with my gadgets, laptop, mobile and My Kindle. Will follow this:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great! Looking for other ways to sync up disparate devices, faster!

    ReplyDelete