Monday, April 23, 2012

Bluetooth Remote..!

Its been long since I tried out any new apps, and true to the adage, necessity is the mother of invention, my need was the necessity for my search of an app!

The need was that I wanted to control my pc using my phone. While there are a ton of apps to do all kinds of things like turning on/off lights, home appliances etc, by remotely using the internet on your phone, and a wi-fi connection at home, searching for an app to simply control my pc was not that an easy find! When I did find a few apps which seemed promising, they all needed a wi-fi network and using a common network for both the pc and your phone.

I wanted something using only bluetooth, as its simpler and just seems so much more better! I wanted to control the volume of my media player and use my phone as a wireless mouse. Simple, basic functionality :) After quite a few searches I came upon the Remote Control PC (yeah, it couldn't have been simpler!), which had good reviews and which worked off both bluetooth and wi fi. It required a server program to be installed on the PC and a java runtime environment. And of course the all important Android app downloaded from the market.

Installation was a breeze; pairing and connecting my phone with the laptop, I started off the app. It had a nice UI, with the first screen giving a basic tutorial on using the app, and selecting the mode of connection.

Then I began testing it out. I could use it for changing the volume, changing tracks etc on my media player running on my pc; complete with stop, start and pause buttons! Plus my phone screen could be used to act like a wireless track pad for my mouse!

As a bonus, there was also the ability to control power point presentations too!

All in all, a pretty nifty tool. Do check it out!

Oh, and one more thing, its free :)

4 comments:

  1. sounds a little complicated to a non technical person like me! Will I be able to do it just following your instructions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, its not difficult. Here is the link giving step-by-step instructions (could not embed it in the article earlier): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cz.rozkovec.android&hl=en

      Delete
    2. you have to only lean forward a little to adjust tha comp.volume.anyway great app.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for your comment! But try adjusting the comp at night when you can't see the laptop keys, or when you want to be able to control it from far while watching a movie with friends. Its in these situations that it is mighty useful.

      Delete