Friday, October 12, 2012

Fixing my mob screen - 2

I went over to the workshop where the mob was getting fixed and asked the guy there about the whole screen setup. It turns out that on older phones, the touch sensors and the display are two separate units. The sensors are the first thing on the screen, behind which is the actual light and display screen setup. So one is independent of the other (I also got a look at my mob innards). But this is not the case with the newer phones on which the touch sensor (screen) and the display are integrated into one. It also explains why the newer phones are slimmer than the older ones.

My Sammy is an old phone, as mentioned in my previous post. So in a way it is a good thing as one screen can be replaced without affecting the other, and it is way cheaper too. The touch sensors are the costly part whereas the display's are not as much.

In any case, my problem isn't solved yet...

Turns out that they were out of stock for the displays, and I might have to wait for another week before they 'might' get a fresh stock from the company. All this while they were trying out with existing display's (and local made ones too!). Its not easy to get those displays anymore, according to the folks there.

So I have said bye to my Sammy (atleast for a while) and taken up on an old Windows Mobile phone which Dad wasn't using anymore. Its the Motorola Q8 which runs on WM 6.x. Yeah, kinda old when you think that Win7 and Win8 phone are the current running versions in the Lumia range of mobs from Nokia. Can't help it!

But which also brings me to my search for software for WM 6...Now let me tell you this. After getting used to the Android app store (Google Play), there is no way Windows comes even close to it. Just doing a search for apps for WM will make you realize how poor their app eco-system is when compared to Android (and ofcourse Apple).

After a lot of searching I found a few apps for Twitter, FB, gtalk and a few others. And it was an absolute nightmarish experience to know what about the whole .NET compact framework thing that is out there. How do ppl get around all of that? I am not surprised why there are very few takers for WM.

On the other hand, the best thing that I find with it is the ActiveSync function. It works well and integrates well with Outlook. So atleast mails are a breeze.

Will update more on the status of my mob later. Till then, will try and catch a few more ".cab's" (get it?!)

No comments:

Post a Comment